If you recently completed treatment at Dr. Williams' office, congratulations! Now that your braces have been removed, Dr. Williams will provide you with retainers. Here are some things to remember when you receiver your retainers:
* Wear your retainers full time, until the doctor instructs otherwise.
* Take your retainers out when eating...and always put retainers in their case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunch rooms or restaurants.)
* Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and only a small amount of toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water.
* When retainers are not in your mouth they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case.
* Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing aloud to get used to them quicker.
* Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken, give us a call immediately.
* Try to remember to bring your retainers to your appointments.
* Retainer replacement is expensive...with proper care they will last for years!
* Remove retainers when swimming or during any sporting activity in which the retainers could fall out and get broken or lost (cheerleading, basketball, etc.) or when you should be wearing a mouth guard (football, lacrosse, etc.).
* Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.